Wilsaan Joiner, PhD
Associate Professor, Bioengineering
|Office:||3910 Nguyen Engineering Building|
|Office Hours:||Mon. 3:00-4:00 or by appointment|
BENG 313 Physiology for Engineers
- Sensory integration
- Sensorimotor learning and control
- Computational modeling
- Eye – hand coordination
- Visual perception
Dr. Wilsaan Joiner is an Associate Professor in the Department of Bioengineering. He received his PhD in Biomedical Engineering from the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine in 2007. From 2007-2012, he was a postdoctoral fellow at Harvard University and the National Eye Institute (The Laboratory of Sensorimotor Research).
Dr. Joiner’s Sensorimotor Integration Laboratory at the Volgenau School of Engineering conducts translational research investigating human sensory integration, motor learning and control using computational and experimental approaches. Ongoing projects include the influence of eye movements and internal monitoring signals in guiding goal-directed movements and the neural processes underlying motor adaptation and memory consolidation. In addition, there are ongoing collaborative research projects with laboratories at the National Eye Institute, the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, and Harvard University.
- Cavanaugh, J., Joiner, W.M., Wurtz, R.H. (2012). Suppressive surrounds of receptive fields in monkey frontal eye field. Journal of Neuroscience 32 (35): 1228-1293.
- Joiner, W.M., Ajayi, O., Sing, G.C., Smith, M.A. (2011) Linear hypergeneralization of learned dynamics across movement speeds reveals anisotropic, gain-encoding primitives for motor adaptation. Journal of Neurophysiology 105 (1): 45-59.
- Sing, G.C., Joiner, W.M., Nanayakkara, T., Brayanov, J.B., Smith, M.A. (2009). Primitives for motor adaptation reflect correlated neural tuning to position and velocity. Neuron 64 (4): 575-589.
- The contribution of salience to visual responses in monkey frontal eye field. Joiner, W.M., Cavanaugh, J., Wurtz, R.H., Cumming. B.G.
- Detection of trans-saccadic target shifts in human and monkey. Joiner, W.M., Cavanaugh, J., FitzGibbon, E.J., Wurtz, R.H.
- Linear hypergeneralization across movement speeds in the adaptive control of reaching arm movements. Joiner, W.M., Sing, G., Smith, M.A.