Parag Chitnis, PhD
Parag Chitnis, PhD
Assistant Professor, Department of Bioengineering
|Office:||Nguyen Engineering Building, Room 3908|
|Hours:||Thursdays, 4:00-5:00p.m. or by appointment|
BioParag Chitnis joined the Department of Bioengineering at George Mason University in Fall of 2014. He also is an affiliate faculty at the Krasnow Institute of Advanced Study. He received his Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering from Boston University in 2007 under the supervision of Prof. Robin Cleveland. From 2007-2008, he was post-doctoral research fellow in the same department for Prof. Ronald Roy. After completing his post-doctoral training, he joined Riverside Research Institute as a Scientist, where he was a Principal Investigator pursuing research in medical ultrasonics and photoacoustics until 2014. He received the Riverside Research’s Ralph J. Mastrandrea Award for Outstanding Excellence in 2011.
- Photoacoustic (aka optoacoustic) imaging
- High-frequency ultrasound imaging
- Targeted drug delivery
- Therapeutic ultrasound
Dr. Chitnis is a Principal Investigator in the Biomedical Imaging Laboratory located in the Krasnow Institute of Advanced Study. For details, please see http://bmil.bioengineering.gmu.edu
- E. Filoux, A. Sampathkumar, P. V. Chitnis, O. Aristizabal, and J. A. Ketterling, “High-frequency annular array with coaxial illumination for dual-modality ultrasonic and photoacoustic imaging,” Review of Scientific Instruments, vol. 84, no. 5, pp. 053705–053705–7, May 2013.
- P. V. Chitnis, S. Koppolu, J. Mamou, C. Chlon, and J. A. Ketterling, “Influence of shell properties on high- frequency ultrasound imaging and drug delivery using polymer-shelled microbubbles,” Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics and Frequency Control, IEEE Transactions on, vol. 60, no. 1, Jan. 2013.
- F. Kong, R. H. Silverman, L. Liu, P. V. Chitnis, K. K. Lee, and Y. C. Chen, “Photoacoustic-guided convergence of light through optically diffusive media,” Optics Letters, vol. 36, no. 11, pp. 2053–2055, Jun. 2011.
- P. V. Chitnis, H.-P. Brecht, R. Su, and A. A. Oraevsky, “Feasibility of optoacoustic visualization of high- intensity focused ultrasound-induced thermal lesions in live tissue,” Journal of Biomedical Optics, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 021313–021313–5, 2010.
- P. V. Chitnis, N. J. Manzi, R. O. Cleveland, R. A. Roy, and R. G. Holt, “Mitigation of Damage to Solid Surfaces From the Collapse of Cavitation Bubble Clouds,” Journal of Fluids Engineering, vol. 132, no. 5, pp. 051303– 051303, May 2010.
Selected Abstracts (recent)
- P. V. Chitnis, A. Sampathkumar, J. Mamou, and E. J. Feleppa, “Spectrum analysis of photoacoustic signals for tissue classification,” in Proc. SPIE, 2012, vol. 8943, pp. 89432J–1–7.
- A. Sampathkumar, P. V. Chitnis, and R. H. Silverman, “All-optical photoacoustic microscopy system for remote characterization of biological tissues,” in Proc. SPIE, 2014, vol. 8943, pp. 89432Y–1–7.
- P. V. Chitnis, O. Aristizabal, A. Sampathkumar, J. Mamou, and J. A. Ketterling, “Coherence-weighted beamforming and automated vessel segmentation for improving photoacoustic imaging using annular arrays,” presented at the Ultrasonics Symposium (IUS), IEEE, 2013.
- P. V. Chtinis, O. Ordeig, and S. K. Sia, “Ultrasound-mediated remote actuation of implantable devices for localized drug delivery,” The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 2013, vol. 134.
- P. V. Chitnis, O. Aristizabal, E. Filoux, A. Sampathkumar, J. Mamou, D. H. Turnbull, and J. A. Ketterling, “Combined optoacoustic and high-frequency ultrasound imaging of live mouse embryos,” in Proc. SPIE, 2012, vol. 8223, pp. 822314–1–6.
- “Biomedical Applications of Photoacoustics,” Institute of Biomedical Engineering, Oxford University, Oxford, United Kingdom, 2014.
- “Listening to Light: Biomedical Applications of Photoacoustics,” Bioengineering Seminar Series, George Mason University, Fairfax, VA, 2013.
- “High-frequency Ultrasound and Photoacoustic Biomicroscopy of Mouse Embryos” Molecular Imaging and Contrast Agent Seminar series, New York University, New York, NY, 2012.
- Special Interest Session on High-Frequency Vascular Imaging, American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine Annual Convention, Phoenix, AZ, 2012
- “Acoustics, Bubbles, and Boundaries,” Biocolloid Engineering Design (CHEN E4030), Columbia University, 2009.
- Acoustical Society of America
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
- International Society of Therapeutic
- Ultrasound Society of Photo-optical Instrumentation Engineers
- Special-session Organizer/Chair, Acoustical Society of America, 2011
- Session chair, International Ultrasonics Symposium, IEEE, 2011
- Session Chair, Acoustical Society of America, 2009
- Session Chair, Ultrasonic Imaging and Tissue Characterization Symposium, 2009
- Associate Editor, Ultrasonic Imaging
- Referee, IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics and Frequency Control
- Referee, Journal of the Acoustical Society of America?Journal of Biomedical Optics
- Referee, Journal of Physics in Medicine and Biology
- Referee, Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology