PhD in Bioengineering
A PhD in bioengineering is the gateway to technological innovation in the health care industry. Your degree will take your training to the next level, giving you the breadth of knowledge and the experience you need to make innovative change.
As a student in our doctoral program, you'll become a leader in the bioengineering field. You'll master the technological changes that are revolutionizing the medical profession.
A major feature of our curriculum is teaching students how to discover solutions through the creative process and then develop them to direct applications in clinical practice and commercialized technologies.
While you're here, you'll have the opportunity to work with some of the top scientists in the field.
- We develop computational models to study blood flow in the brain to understand how aneurysms form, progress, and rupture. This work receives funding from the National Institutes of Health.
- We are using the latest ultrasound technology to improve prosthetics for arms, hands, and legs with funding from the National Science Foundation and the Department of Defense.
- We are putting together maps of neuron connections in the brain to understand brain function and neurological diseases, funded by the National Institutes of Health.
- Our researchers are working on a novel approach that would help the body’s own immune system to fight cancer with support from the National Science Foundation.
Four concentration areas are currently offered, which align with current faculty research expertise:
- Biomedical Imaging
- Data-driven Biomechanical Modeling
- Nano-scale Bioengineering
In 2019, the concentrations will be renewed to reflect the most recent advances and renamed as Biomedical Imaging and Devices; Computational Biomedicine; Biomaterials and Nanomedicine; and Neurotechnology and Computational Neuroscience.
Check out the catalog for more information.
Forms for PhD Students
- BIOE PhD Dissertation Committee Form
- Reduction of Credits Form (ROC): Reduction of credits of a PhD program for Master’s Degree students
- BIOE PhD Plan of Study Form
- BIOE PhD Qualifying Exam Topics Form: Define qualifying exam topics and date
- BIOE PhD Qualifying Exam Results form: For taking the qualifying exam
- BIOE PhD Dissertation Proposal Form: Present dissertation proposal
- BIOE PhD Advancement to Candidacy Form
- BIOE PhD Dissertation Pre-Defense Form: Approval to defend dissertation
- BIOE PhD Dissertation Defense Form: Defend dissertation
- Concentration Declaration Form
"Professor Agrawal has given me the opportunity to be creative and is always pushing me to reach my goals."
— Steven Roberts, PhD Bioengineering '18