Access to the Best Internships, Jobs, Research, Entertainment
As a bioengineering student, you'll enjoy the best of both worlds: a beautiful wooded campus in a metropolitan area rich with opportunities. You'll have access to internships, jobs, research, and entertainment that only a city like Washington, D.C. can provide.
Mason’s Bioengineering Department, 20 miles from Washington, D.C., is in the heart of a region densely packed with researchers who work at the intersection of medicine and current technology.
Our students have opportunities for interesting internships and summer jobs, which can lead to full-time careers. Students can work with:
- Medical research community in Washington, D.C.; Bethesda, Maryland; and Fairfax, Virginia.
- Government agencies and contractors in Washington, D.C. and throughout the Virginia-Maryland metro area.
- Engineering and biotech companies, including those that support the government’s technology infrastructure.
Federal Government Agencies, Institutes and Departments
- The Department of Health and Human Services
- National Institutes of Health
- Department of Defense, including Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, Office of Naval Research, and Air Force Office of Scientific Research
- Food and Drug Administration
- National Institute of Standards and Technology
- National Science Foundation
- Intelligence Advanced Research Projects Activity
- Emergent BioSolutions, Inc.
- Integrity Applications Incorporated
- Weinberg Medical Physics
- INOVA Health System
- MedStar National Rehabilitation Network in Washington, D.C., Virginia, and Maryland
- Children’s National Health System
Other Research Facilities and Universities
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute Janelia Research Campus
- Georgetown University
- The George Washington University
- University of Maryland
- Johns Hopkins University
Easy Access to Cultural and Entertainment Options
You can easily get to the nation’s capital by taking our free shuttles to the closest Metro station in Vienna. Visit world-class museums, attend live theater and concerts, or become a fan of one of the local sports teams. There are three major airports in the region: Dulles International Airport, Ronald Reagan National Airport, and Baltimore Washington International.